Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Organ Donation Awareness



Since 1995 I have carried an organ donation card in my wallet. In the
event that I die, it legally gives doctors permission to use my organs. All of them except my eyes.

I know that by donating organs, a person can give another "The gift of Life." But there are cases in which donated organs do not save lives due to some of the complications involved.

I could list the number of people waiting for donations.
I could write about why people should donate.
I could talk about why people in opposition should change their view.
But none of that serves to help the problem at hand.

Lack of Awareness.

Lack of people willing to participate in the many different ways available.
Lack of people with the knowledge of how to be a potential donor.

Whether one opposes the practice or supports it.
Whether it is right or wrong.

None of that holds any weight against those in the position of actually waiting for a potential donor that may save their life. The staggering amount of people waiting for organs
speaks volumes over any persons opinion of the controversies that may surround it.

I am in support of Organ Donation and the purpose for this post it to bring attention to the need for more awareness in this particular subject.

I choose to focus on the positive aspects of being a potential donor.

I won't tell touching stories of lives that were saved through organ donations.
I won't tell people they should believe what I believe in regards to organ donation.
I won't list the number of people waiting for potential donors.
I won't list the number of people who die waiting for an organ.

My only purpose is to provide anyone who may be interested in being a potential donor information in how they can do that. The following links can provide more information about the many different ways people can sign up to be potential donors.

I'm not a doctor.
I don't understand the procedures involved.

I won't pretend I'm an authority on a subject I have no personal experience with. There are appropriate agencies equipped for that purpose. Below are several links which can provide much more information on the many aspects of what is involved in Organ Donation.

If you would like to potentially be of service to another, please take a moment to explore the many different information that is readily available on the subject through these organizations.

Donate Life Created by the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services.

New York Alliance for Donation A Congressional Field Hearing on Organ and Tissue Donation: A How-To Guide ... A brief history of The Partnership for Organ Donation

Organ Donation Created by the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services.

The Living Bank National Organ and Tissue donor education, awareness, and registry. Non ... Organ donation helps ease pain

Organ Donation Anatomy Gifts Registry was established to serve as an organization that provides a cost-free whole body donation option while benefiting mankind by helping to progress medical science and education.

International Society for Organ Preservation The Society is dedicated to the advancement of the science and technique of organ preservation for transplantation, the dissemination of knowledge related to the fields of organ preservation and transplantation, and increasing public awareness of the benefits of organ donation.

Organ & Tissue Donation - Organ Donation Facts Find answers to commonly held myths about donation, read about the positive views of donation held by major religions, and discover the differences between non-living and living donation. Also, read about the diverse nature of the New York metropolitan area and how it impacts donation.

No comments: